Saturday, February 27, 2010

Asian Inspired Dining Room, From Scratch

Our home was built a little over a year ago.  It was framed by Old Order Amish.  They did an amazing job using only battery-powered tools! 


Check them out up on the roof.  With an impending storm. Without harnesses.  Or helmets.  Wow.

Here is the dining room, from start to finish.





Wait for it...  wait for it...


BAM!



I have to say, I wasn't to sure about the intensity of the blue at first, but now I love it!

Useless trivia -- these are like the chairs used on the set of "The King of Queens."
I love Kevin James.  He's a hoot!



I did the chair rail myself with a $15 miter box and composite trim.



The bottom is grass wallpaper, very textured with flecks of antique gold, sage green and blue.
I also did that myself.  Oh yeah, I rock.



Artwork which hangs between the windows.
Handpainted and found at a closeout decorator place for 10 bucks.



This was my inspiration piece.  We made it!  I found the Chinese scroll and at barn sale for a dollar a couple of years ago.  Hubby went to Lowes and had a piece of MDF cut just a bit larger than the scroll, about 4" on each side, then picked up some hanging hardware.  I wrapped the MDF with leftover wallpaper, using scrapbook adhesive (lots of it) on the front so the wallpaper would lie flat and a staple gun on the back.  Then I hammered in decorative bronze upholstery tacks to attach the scroll.  Hubby hung it on the wall.  The hanging was the hardest part as it is heavy.  


Builder's standard issue chandelier, with green crystal-like bobbles from IKEA.


See that crazy color to the right?  That's a future post!

No comments:

Post a Comment